Search This Blog

Sunday, March 26, 2023

Review: The Feral Detective

The Feral Detective The Feral Detective by Jonathan Lethem
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The Feral Detective by Jonathan Lethem sort of defies description.  It is sort of like a fever dream.  It starts out very noir.  A woman in distress seeks out a somewhat mysterious detective to help her find a missing person.  The trail leads them to Mad Max-style desert communities except it is 2016.  Lots of people wanted to run away in 2016. I am not sure if it meant to, but the book does a good job of highlighting the urban fantasy of rural living versus the reality.  It can look so cute and quaint on Instagram, but it is really a much harder, harsher life.  At the same time, I laughed when I learned the main character was from Yorkville, the same neighborhood I live in while I was in New York City.  No wonder she has such culture shock in the desert!

Bonus points for three very excellent doggos.  I'd want to share my life with them too.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment