Search This Blog

Sunday, March 5, 2023

Review: Quietly Hostile: Essays

Quietly Hostile: Essays Quietly Hostile: Essays by Samantha Irby
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Full Disclosure:  I received an Advanced Reader's Copy of Quietly Hostile by Samantha Irby from Vintage via NetGalley.

Quietly Hostile is a set of personal essays from the wickedly sharp and funny Samantha Irby.  If you prefer animals to people, are not squeamish about bodily functions, and/or dress like a modern day Dickensian street urchin, Samantha Irby will speak straight to your soul.  At least, that has been my experience.  It could also be that we both grew up in Illinois about the same time, so the references she makes are very relevant to me.  I didn't know she was involved with the Sex and the City reboot which is the only thing that makes me want to watch it even though I was a single woman living on the Upper East Side for a time and probably everyone thought SatC was a reflection of my life (it wasn't).  Instead of watching it though, I am just going to pretend her essay on the show is exactly how the episodes went and tell everyone I LOVED that show.  Finally, for any network executives reading this, I would watch the hell out of a show based on Samantha Irby's life.

Bonus points for once again killing it with the cover art.  That skunk is my spirit animal.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment