Search This Blog

Sunday, May 17, 2020

Review: From the Corner of the Oval

From the Corner of the Oval From the Corner of the Oval by Beck Dorey-Stein
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I listened to From the Corner of the Oval by Beck Dorey-Stein.  Again, a departure from my norm of only reading books, not doing audiobooks.  These are not normal times, and I have more opportunities to listen to audiobooks now.  I add that as a caveat because I may have enjoyed this book more in a different format.  

I'm going to be upfront here.  Your personal politics will probably influence how much you enjoy this book.  Beck Dorey-Stein started working for the White House during former President Obama's administration, and this book is a reflection of her time there.  She makes no secret about her politics (Spoiler: She's not a Republican) even if she doesn't identify as a political animal.  In fact, she mentions a number of times how much she abhors the typical DC wonk.  I'm right there with her on that and expected that bond to carry us through the book.     

Instead, I found my enjoyment of the book wavering.  Some of that may be due to the difference in our age.  I had to remind myself a few times that she is in her late 20s during this book.  I can't expect her to understand the machinations of government the way I do after 20 years.  It also came into effect when she talks about her romantic entanglements.  Ah to be 28 again....just kidding!  I'm glad I'm over that.  

Her descriptions of Presidential trips and the behavior of traveling staff, to include all the hooking up, did ring true with my experience.  I realize her view is going to be very White House-centric, so I have to forgive her for only mentioning the hard work an Embassy has to do for these trips once.  Listening to these parts of the book did take me down a trip on memory lane and is what tipped the scales more positive for me.

If you are interested in a behind-the-scenes look at the White House and don't mind a fan letter to President Obama, this is worth a read.    

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment