Search This Blog

Sunday, May 24, 2020

Review: Record of a Spaceborn Few

Record of a Spaceborn Few Record of a Spaceborn Few by Becky Chambers
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Record of a Spaceborn Few by Becky Chambers is the third book in the Wayfarers series.  Each book stands alone, so you can read them in any order really.  This is a great series to read when you are stressed or just want to escape from the world we currently live in.  I think it is also a good starting point for people who don't usually read science fiction but want to try it out.  

Becky Chambers has a way of writing that I can't explain in any other word than "nice."  Her books  make me feel like I'm wrapped in a warm hug.  I find comfort in her writing.  That's not something I expect from science fiction.  Her main characters are beings you want to spend time with.  She deals with gender and sexuality in a way that you can only hope we all eventually will.  Her writing is also very accessible.  With most science fiction involving non-humans, you are going to have to learn some new terms or language that is specific to the world of the book.  And yes, Becky Chambers has created some of that for these books, and yet, you don't need a glossary or primer to figure out what things mean.  You aren't going to be overwhelmed. 

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment