Search This Blog

Sunday, May 24, 2020

Review: You're on an Airplane: A Self-Mythologizing Memoir

You're on an Airplane: A Self-Mythologizing Memoir You're on an Airplane: A Self-Mythologizing Memoir by Parker Posey
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I listened to You're on an Airplane: A Self-Mythologizing Memoir written and narrated by Parker Posey.  I love that she included her dog in the recording.  I had many favorite parts but that was a special delight.  The other sound effects really help you buy into the idea that you are sitting next to her on a plane hearing her tell you these stories.  I felt like this was the perfect shelter-in-place companion for COVID-19 times.  I could sit and chat with Parker all day.

If you are a fan of Parker Posey, the style of this book will be no surprise.  It is everything you would think a book by her would be.  I love that she didn't try to paint herself in a perfect light.  She lets you know she can be difficult and emotional.  She struggles sometimes.  She has self-doubt like every other human.  I enjoyed learning yoga and pottery with her.  Yep, I found myself doing ujjayi breathing right along with her and wanted to break out my yoga mat right there and do a sun salutation.  I don't even really like doing sun salutations.  I'm more a cat/cow girl.  

She talks about her experience working on different films, but I will admit I loved the Christopher Guest chapter the most.  Maybe because his movies are the ones I most associate with her?  She really shines.  

As a bonus, she includes some recipes at the ends of chapters.  This was the only flaw of the audiobook.  I couldn't save the recipes easily.  I really want to try the pie Emma Stone taught her!  

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment