Search This Blog

Saturday, December 16, 2023

Review: Light From Uncommon Stars

Light From Uncommon Stars Light From Uncommon Stars by Ryka Aoki
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A friend of mine had told me I really needed to read Light From Uncommon Stars by Ryka Aoki.  I dutifully added it to my figuring I would get to it eventually.  Then, I had the unexpected pleasure of spending a weekend with Ryka at WisCon in Madison this year.  Ryka is an amazing person, incredibly warm, and didn't shame me even once for not having read her book.  Now, I have finally read the book!  It's a bit of The Devil Went Down to Georgia mixed with Star Wars.  The unique pieces don't look like they would fit together and yet they do perfectly.  

I couldn't help reading the story in Ryka's voice.  It was like meeting up with a friend.  We talked about a lot of things that weekend, food a dominant topic, so it was not a surprise that Ryka would incorporate so many rich flavors into this story.  I felt like snacking the whole time, and if you can come away from it without wanting to hit up a donut shop, you are a stronger person than I am.  Read this book!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment