Search This Blog

Saturday, September 14, 2024

Review: The Book of Gems

The Book of Gems The Book of Gems by Fran Wilde
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The Book of Gems is the third novella in the Gemworld series by Fran Wilde. I had been told you didn't need to read any of the other books to read this one, and that is true. I started here. This book was recommended to me because I like epistolary novels. It helps that it is short, so you don't have to worry about making a huge time investment into something you may or may not enjoy. In this case, I did enjoy it. There are definitely gems involved in new and unique ways. Don't upset them!

For a novella, there are a lot of interesting themes packed in here to chew on. You don't have to know anything about gemstones to appreciate the story even though they play a major role. It is more like a cautionary tale of colonialism and unethical archaeology. It made me think of early Egyptologists and the curses that supposedly plagued them.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment