Search This Blog

Sunday, September 1, 2024

Review: The Masquerades of Spring

The Masquerades of Spring The Masquerades of Spring by Ben Aaronovitch
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Full Disclosure: I received an Advanced Reader's Copy of The Masquerades of Spring by Ben Aaronovitch from Subterranean Press via NetGalley.

The Masquerades of Spring is a novella in the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch.  I have only read the first book in the series, so I can safely tell you that you could read this as a standalone.  While maybe reading the first book would help set up some information for you, it is not really necessary.  

I enjoyed the setting of 1920s New York City and Harlem specifically.  It was an interesting time in the United States, and the Harlem Renaissance was in full bloom.  You will also get a taste of ball culture which sounds spectacular to witness in person. 

It may bother some people that the language used is accurate to the time period.  There are terms used regarding black and queer people that would never be acceptable today.  If that bothers you, I would move along to another book. 

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment