Search This Blog

Sunday, July 11, 2021

Review: On Being 40

On Being 40 On Being 40 by Lindsey Mead
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

On Being 40(ish) is a collection of essays and thoughts on being 40 by a variety of female writers and edited by Lindsey Mead.  

Perhaps the odd coincidence that the book opens on Chappaquiddick just as I returned from my first trip to Martha's Vineyard especially endeared it to me.  Or maybe because I am now 40, I can truly appreciate the experiences of these women (also mostly Gen Xers).  We have a shared experience of the world.  They "know" me.  Or maybe it is because Meghan Daum's "Same Life, Higher Rent" could have almost been written by me that I feel a kinship to these women.  There are many good essays in this book, but that is my favorite by far.  I've reread it a few times.  In fact, I found a copy of it and saved it so I can keep rereading it.  

If you are a woman in her 40s (or curious about what it is like to be a woman in her 40s), I recommend reading this.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment