Search This Blog

Sunday, March 31, 2024

Review: Rabbit Cake

Rabbit Cake Rabbit Cake by Annie Hartnett
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Rabbit Cake by Annie Hartnett defies categorization.  It is a story about grief, family, and growing up told with generous helpings of dark humor and lots of animals.  I love how Annie Hartnett features animals in her books.  They are always important characters not just side notes.  The Babbitt family is quirky like all families are.  Elvis, the main character, is a girl I can relate to in a strong way.  She's smart, inquisitive, and loves animals but also fiercely cares about the people in her life.  I somehow managed not to cry until the end of the book.  I'm not sure there ever is enough months to get over the grief of losing someone you really loved.  Then the floodgates opened, and the last chapters were a blur of tears. Knowing that, I would still read it again.  Also, made me want to eat cake, lots and lots of cake.          

Bonus points for Boomer, Ernest, and all the other animals features in this book.  I love them all. 

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment