Search This Blog

Sunday, March 24, 2024

Review: Riddance: Or the Sybil Joines Vocational School for Ghost Speakers & Hearing-Mouth Children

Riddance: Or the Sybil Joines Vocational School for Ghost Speakers & Hearing-Mouth Children Riddance: Or the Sybil Joines Vocational School for Ghost Speakers & Hearing-Mouth Children by Shelley Jackson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Riddance: Or the Sybil Joines Vocational School for Ghost Speakers & Hearing-Mouth Children by Shelley Jackson is worth reading.  I only wish the images were clearer on my e-reader because I felt they really enhanced the story.  It reminds me of the Miss Peregrine books with their creepy photos.  I enjoyed the epistolary story telling format used here very much.  There are letters, transcripts, and found documents.  They weave together to tell the story of two women at the SJVS, one the headmistress, the other a student.  The SJVS trains people with speech impediments, specifically stutters, to communicate with the dead.  It's trippy!  I'll be honest that I wasn't always sure what was going on.  That starts to happen when you get into multiverse situations, physics, and the language of the dead.  The ending was very clever.  Definitely recommend to the adventurous reader! 

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment