Search This Blog

Sunday, September 27, 2026

Review: The Backyard Bird Chronicles

The Backyard Bird Chronicles The Backyard Bird Chronicles by Amy Tan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Backyard Bird Chronicles is a compilation of excerpts from Amy Tan's nature journals over a six year period documenting the wild birds that turn up in her backyard.  It is written in journal form and includes the drawings she has done of her birds.  I absolutely loved this book!  As someone who also enjoys watching the birds that show up in her backyard, I could appreciate Tan's enthusiasm for her visitors.  I wish I had the money to maintain the level of dedication she has to hers.  She has so many feeders and what sounds like the coolest bird-friendly house.  She also buys my weight in mealworms every day.  I'm not quite there yet, but I could see how it would be easy to become the crazy bird lady.  She is not claiming to be an expert on birds, and I can also appreciate that.  I didn't even think about modifying my bird feeders for ground feeders because they all seemed to adapt.  She seemed to have a similar epiphany when the bird snobs told her ground feeders would never eat on an elevated feeder and vice versa.  I am hoping there will be another book that includes more of the journals.  The drawings are beautiful, and I love the humor!  I too give my birds back stories while watching them.  I haven't named them, but I recognize my regulars.  If you like birds, you will want to read this.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment