Spying on Whales: The Past, Present, and Future of Earth's Most Awesome Creatures by Nick PyensonMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
I have mixed feelings about Spying on Whales: The Past, Present, and Future of Earth's Most Awesome Creatures by Nick Pyenson. I love learning about whales, but there was a lot of death in here that I had a difficult time reading. Understandably, Nick is a paleontologist, so he is into bones. I don't have a problem with that. I do have a problem with reading about going whaling to collect specimens. It is hard to think that the ends justify those means. Sure, I want to know more about the history of whales but not by killing the current ones. I guess you could say that they were going to die anyway, so better they be of scientific value. It was still tough to read. It is amazing when you realize how long they live and the cultures they develop. I don't think many people realize some whale species are second in intelligence to humans and at one time were actually smarter than humans. They might still be and just don't want us to know it. I pushed through in order to learn more and maybe find hope for the future. I'm not sure I found hope, but I did learn. If you aren't squeamish about whale death, but want to learn more about those fantastic mammals, check this out.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment